This artwork shows a column, broken into pieces that can move separately. A column is an upright post, usually rounded and made of stone or concrete, often supporting a building. George used what he knew about weight, gravity, force, and motion to make this heavy metal sculpture balance and move.
Make your own balancing sculpture with everyday objects around your house!
- Gather objects from your kitchen, office, and art supplies. You will need:
• A sturdy base, for example a jar or cup filled with sand or rocks.
• Things of different shapes and sizes that you can balance, such as spoons, pencils, and small toys.
• Connecting pieces, like wire from a hanger, paper clips, and heavy tape.
- Make a stable base.
- Insert a tube or pencil as your center pole.
- Now, use wire and tape to attach your pieces to the center and each other. You will need to try different ways to balance the pieces. Your adults can help you look online for ideas and inspiration.
- When your sculpture is done, blow it or gently push it to make it move. Take a video to share with your family and friends!